Monday, June 15, 2009

True "Tolerance"

I listen to a lot of talk radio and catch something daily from most tv shows that discuss politics. As a self-imposed discipline, I listen to both sides regularly (not just the ones with which I think I'll agree). Even though, for me, this flows from a part of my Christian beliefs, here's something with which I think even the secular humanists could agree. Let's all practice some true tolerance.

I hear voices on the left promoting a kind of tolerance which seems to mean never disagreeing with anybody's viewpoint or opinion. I hear voices on the right promoting a kind of tolerance which seems to mean simply giving those with whom they disagree a chance to speak. In the end, though, the voices from both sides usually end up making derogatory remarks about those on the other side. Aside from sticking to the issues, they so easily move on to assailing the other person's intelligence or character.

Think about this. I don't care how much I disagree with your views or opinions, if you were my neighbor, I hope that I wouldn't treat you any differently that I would my ideological twin. If Barack Obama, Al Franken, Nancy Pelosi, Al Sharpton, Bill Ayers, Hugo Chavez, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Jeremiah Wright were my neighbors, I hope that I would cherish the opportunity to get to know them and their families. In terms of living our everyday lives, we would all want the same thing. We would all want to be appreciated for the person we are, not what we believe. We would all cherish compassion when a child was diagnosed with cancer. We would all appreciate a hand cleaning up after a tornado. We would all expect to look out for each others' kids as they played in the neighborhood or walked to school.

So, here's the challenge. The next time we feel like railing someone for their views or opinions ... take a deep breath ... imagine if they were your neighbor ... imagine you and your spouses and all the kids are sitting on your back porch ... THEN and only then, speak your mind. I think that's how we should all define tolerance.

1 comment: