Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Suicide

It's an ugly term derived from Latin meaning "the taking of one's own life." I don't know how many of you have dealt with this issue; and, if so, on what level. I make no presumptions that I know anything more or have experienced anything more deeply than you have. Yet, I am today just beginning to rationally deal with the choice of a good friend to make this dreadful decision. This is a first for me.

So many blessings, so much to live for, so much to expect - snuffed out so quickly as present but known pain succombs to an eternal and uncertain void. At least it's some comfort to "know" that he had accepted Christ. Still, in those final moments, did he really "know" that?

We can all relate to pain. We can all relate with occasional feelings of hopelessness. We can all relate with the temporal thought that our present suffering might never be relieved. Still, I don't know a living soul who can truly relate with the decision to end it all. While I struggle to understand those feelings, I cannot understand the thought process which leads from those feelings to the most selfish of destructive acts.

Despite my own questions, I am consumed with compassion for the deceased. I can't imagine the level of pain and/or depression which eventually leads one to pull the trigger. What level of pain could cause one to inflict such lifelong injury on those whom he loved the most? It defies reason.

If you've been affected by this occurrence, please know that you're not alone in either your suffering or your questioning. If you're considering this outcome ... don't. Just don't. Reach out in your weakness. Reach out and seek answers from those who don't have them. Reach out for solutions from those who cannot offer them. Reach out to those who can do nothing but reach back. Reach out before everyone else is left remembering you.

1 comment:

  1. Gerry,

    A very thoughtful commentary. Tara's family recently had to deal with this tragedy and it is one that often defies comprehension. I will pray for you and your freind.

    Jim Woody

    ReplyDelete